Three days ago...
Watched Michael Nyman in the Royal Albert Hall at the late night BBC prom. Got the tickets last minute and still managed to land a superb seat. The performance was sui generis. Nyman's minimalist motifs made for a very different experience compared with other classical performance I watched... it sort of made me miss the complexity in those performances. He is best at the diminuendos rather than crescendos as when the blaring trumpets and trombones tok a rest (so did my ears), and powerful emotional motifs to surface, and that is what I like most about Nyman and his minimalism - the ability to accentuate the emotional impact of a certain motif with its simplicity. An opera singer came in during the last 20 minutes. The finale piece was a bit overdone with the repetition and the wind instruments (someone out to shotgun them down aftr a while...), but his encore piano solo made up for it with its silent and soft beauty.
Two days ago...
Shopped for the first time in Primark. Got the cheapest jacket I ever bought - a £20 'leather' jacket from their Cedarwood Estate range. Its actually one of their more expensive stuff...Looks pretty good on me actually.
Today...
Watched Terry Gilliam's Tidelands at BFI Southbank. It was surreal, fantastic and highly imaginative. It is a celebration and homage to the power of imagination, the same theme that gave Tim Burton's Big Fish and Del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth a special little niche in my heart. Terry Gilliams created the kind of atmosphere I call the Tim Burton touch. I adored Tidelands for that. On the other hand, the lack of a proper or cohesive plot structure makes the almost 2 hour long movie a bore sometimes. Alas, it was a fertile ground for a good, emotional plot.
Countdown to retakes:4 days.
No comments:
Post a Comment